Wednesday, August 17, 2011

Comfort Food Essay

     Pancit is our family's favorite dish to eat at parties, special occasions, or just simply all the time. Walking through the kitchen doorway, I could smell the mixtures of vegetables, chicken, and noodles. 
I remember taking car rides to the noodle factory and market to buy all the ingredients we needed. As soon as we got home I would always rush upstairs and my dad would prepare everything we needed. I could hear the vegetables being chopped, the chicken boiling, and oil splashing.
     "Why is eating pancit so special" I asked my dad. "If you eat the long noodles you'll have a long life to live." My dad also had said that ever  since my grandfather was young he learned how to cook, he would make the best pancit anyone could ever have. After my grandfather has passed, my father has carried on the tradition to make everyone's favorite.
     I remember my dad calling me in to shred the hot chicken after it was just boiled. I would always watch my dad toss in the noodles, celery, bell pepper, carrots, and shrimp in the big bowl, as I continue to shred the piping hot chicken. After he has mixed everything together, he would put in the chicken, and would put me on his knee and he would say "toss it all together one more time." The pancit would be put into our serving dish, and the finishing touches would be topped with chopped green onions.
       "How long has this dish been in our family" I would say out loud. "Way before you were born." My mom replied. As I learn more and more about this dish, my goal is to carry it on for generation after generation. My family relatives face's would light when they would my dad bring the big dish of pancit, and would just rush to grab a plate of it. This dish has brought many memories and will create many more.





3 comments:

  1. First off, you made me hungry when I read this :) So you did a good job with descriptive details, such as "smelling the mixture of vegetables, chicken, and noodles." I also like how you showed exactly how you and your dad made it. "My family relatives face's would light when they would my dad bring the big dish of pancit, and would just rush to grab a plate of it." Was a very very good descriptive line telling about how it's important to your family, just fix a couple grammatical errors in that, such as "light *up*" and "would *see*". You should talk about some of the events that your family eats pancit for, and if memories were made sitting around the table and eating it perhaps? Or something like that. But other than that, your really off to a good start, and I enjoyed reading your essay. Good luck.
    ~ Eryn

    ReplyDelete
  2. Haha! We doing the same dish! Hmm.. I have some competition! ahaha nah i jus joking! Anyways, after reading your essay, I want to sample your family's pancit! You did a good job on being discriptive, such as "I could hear the vegetables being chopped, the chicken boiling, and oil splashing."
    Although, you just need to fix up a couple of things like your grammar and you should add more to your essay. For example: add what your family wants to past down to later generation about this recipe. You know what I mean? Well, so far so good! Keep it up! :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hi Skylar,
    Nice job on the essay. What a coincidence that the two pancit recipes ended up in the same critique group :)
    I basically agree with the commentary from your team: good specific detail and add more about the family events and memories.
    I also have a question about one of the details: why is it significant that you "would always rush upstairs" when your dad was cooking? Or does "upstairs" mean to the kitchen and not upstairs away from the cooking? The next description is of you hearing the sounds, thus it does seem that you go away from the cooking when your dad starts.
    It might add to the paper to include some details from the markets, too, especially since you are making the pancit with freshly made noodles.
    mrs s

    ReplyDelete